How to promote the digital transformation of public cultural institutions from the perspective of the meta universe
Recently, the East Hall of Shanghai Library launched the first large-scale public beta for readers, inviting citizens to experience in advance. The construction goal of the East Library in the above figure is "a hybrid library in the era of all media" and "a smart library in the era of big data". Here, books that can be borrowed, seats that can be used, activities that can be participated in and space that can be used can all be reserved, which not only ensures convenience and fairness, but also promotes personalized services.
In addition to the East Hall of Shanghai Library, two other cultural landmarks in Pudong, the East Hall of Shanghai Museum and the Shanghai Grand Opera House in the World Expo Cultural Park, have made cultural digital transformation an important goal of their construction. Shangbo East Museum is also actively promoting the construction of "new platform" and "new terminal" of the museum, integrating and sharing digital cultural resources, realizing intelligent management and promoting intelligent services. The three cultural landmarks in Pudong hope to build themselves into an outstanding "third space" of the city, a social place where people can relax in their leisure time, realize the leading role of cultural facilities and meet the cultural needs of the people to a greater extent.
The author believes that in promoting the digital transformation of public cultural institutions, we can take the "third space" theory as the basis to guide the direction of digital transformation. This theory was proposed by American sociologist Ray Oldenberg. "The third space" is a place that is not restricted by utilitarian relations except for family (the first space) and office (the second space), where there is no bondage of family roles and no sense of hierarchy in the workplace, It is not restricted by the utilitarian relationship. It is a social place where people release themselves and communicate freely. It has the basic characteristics of freedom, relaxation and convenience.
Digital transformation is an important force in the transformation of public cultural institutions. It gives full play to the role of new technologies, stimulates the vitality of cultural institutions, strengthens the allocation of supply and demand and precise docking, and meets the cultural needs of users. In fact, many cultural institutions are already engaged in digitalization, but there are problems such as insufficient digitalization, being in the "shoal area" for a long time, and it is difficult to touch the bones and muscles of cultural institutions. The emergence of the meta universe seems to be able to bring about a turnaround in solving this problem.
With regard to the discussion on the construction of the "third space" of the cultural institutions empowered by the Yuan universe, the author recently published an article on the network of the Library Forum, "Opening up in the Context: The Construction of the Library's" Third Space "from the Perspective of the Yuan universe", which discussed how the Yuan universe enabled the construction of the library's "Third Space" from the perspective of ideas and technology. Considering that the library is an important part of the public cultural institutions, The research subject can be extended from the library to the public cultural institutions, and the discussion can be placed in the perspective of cultural digital transformation to further analyze and explain the concept, technology and scheme of the construction of the "third space" of public cultural institutions in the perspective of the meta universe.
1、 Concept: the construction of the "third space" empowered by the meta universe
The author believes that the meta universe contains the concept of "the third space", including freedom, equality, individuality, diversity, social attributes and self display. Under the guidance of this concept, the original idea of digital transformation construction, which is incomplete, immature and not humanized, should be changed to enhance the humanistic awareness and expand and enhance the services of public cultural institutions.
(1) Freedom - a sense of freedom beyond reality. The meta universe enables users to experience the freedom beyond the real world. First, the freedom of the environment. Virtual reality technology creates a relaxed and comfortable environment for users; The second is the sense of freedom in resource acquisition, which integrates more resources and protects intellectual property rights through digital humanities, blockchain and other technologies; The third is the sense of freedom in service supply. Virtual digital people are used as virtual librarians to provide services and improve service quality.
(2) Equality - the equality accessible to all. The universe can alleviate the inequality of Chinese public cultural institutions. On the one hand, users can create exclusive images rich in filters to enter the virtual space and enjoy equal status services. On the other hand, virtual services will become more mature, and users can use terminals to enjoy better, more equal and more diversified cultural resources and services.
(3) Personalization - personalized recommendation based on context awareness. Personalized recommendation based on context awareness is a more accurate and fine-grained recommendation method. The meta universe can meet the conditions for cultural institutions to carry out personalized services based on context awareness, obtain more comprehensive data, fully tap users' needs and preferences, match them with accurate personalized information services, and realize the adaptation of users and information services in various situations.
(4) Diversification - a diversified scene free from the constraints of places. The meta universe energy rate first improves the multi service level of cultural institutions from the spatial dimension. The virtual space of the universe is composed of data. With mature technology and infrastructure, the space can be infinitely extended, and a diversified scene can be built through digital twins, virtual primitives, and virtual reality integration.
(5) Social attributes - more powerful social functions. The universe has a strong social function, which can enhance the social attributes of cultural institutions. On the one hand, it provides a wealth of online social scenes to shorten the social distance and make friends more easily; On the other hand, it provides a variety of information exchange methods to improve the efficiency and value of information.
2、 Technology: Metauniverse reshapes the "third space" scene
Undoubtedly, the focus of digital transformation is still technological innovation. As the epitome of emerging technologies, the meta universe is bound to bring new development opportunities for the digital transformation of cultural institutions. The author believes that we can use the underlying technology of the meta universe to reshape the cultural architecture scene, as follows.
(1) Virtual digital human strengthens reference consulting or interpretation services. According to the library collection resources and the log data of interaction with users, a virtual digital person driven by artificial intelligence technology is constructed to make the interaction with users more intelligent, emotional and ideological. Through user portraits, personalized answers are given to the needs, and reference resources are presented in a three-dimensional form.
(2) Interactive technology innovation education experience scene. Interactive technology can enable the social education function of public cultural institutions by accelerating the speed of entering the immersion state and deepening the depth of the immersion state. It is mainly reflected in three aspects: building a fine multi educational scene, enhancing game based interaction and intelligent teaching evaluation.
(3) UGC/PGC/AIGC innovates the content production scenario. This paper focuses on AIGC, which will become the most indispensable content production mode in the meta universe perspective. AI has moved from auxiliary production to a dominant position. It can automatically generate content according to demand and accurately push it to users, making up the gap between demand and supply of digital content, and effectively solving the problem of "content shortage".
(4) Blockchain technology supports data protection scenarios. In terms of privacy protection, blockchain technology protects users' personal information from multiple perspectives with its anonymous public key encryption, decentralization, smart contracts and other features. In terms of intellectual property protection, blockchain can establish the basis of intellectual property rights for the resources of public cultural institutions and UGC/PGC/AIGC works, and use timestamp technology to ensure the traceability of all historical data and the integrity of data acquisition.
(5) Video game technology renders social scenes. Electronic game technology provides support for the construction of social scenes in cultural institutions, solves the problems of scene construction and screen rendering when multiple people are online, enables users to have a near reality experience in games, and realizes the aggregation of entertainment and social scenes.
3、 Breaking the situation: the construction scheme of "the third space" of public cultural institutions in the perspective of the universe
In the future, with the development of the meta universe, it can break the barrier between virtual space and physical space, and achieve the real integration of virtual space and real space. As a result, the construction of public cultural institutions in the perspective of the meta universe will no longer be limited to the use of the concept and technology of the meta universe, but will usher in all-round changes. The following author proposes two construction ideas to enable the digital transformation of public cultural institutions to enter the "deep-water area", rather than wandering in the "shoal area".
The first is to promote the reform plan, that is, cultural institutions are stationed on the meta universe platform. On the one hand, the traditional business and staff of public cultural institutions will be transferred to the meta universe platform, and online and offline linkage services will be provided to change the service mode; On the other hand, use the resources and characteristics of the meta universe platform to innovate the business of public cultural institutions. At present, the port science digital library under construction is a leading case of the library entering the meta universe platform and constructing the meta universe library.
The second is to explore revolutionary plans. In what form will public cultural institutions exist in the future under the meta universe? Will it even exist? Or will it exist in the form of cultural meta universe? These are all problems worth thinking about. The core value of public cultural institutions is to popularize cultural knowledge, disseminate advanced culture, provide spiritual food, meet the cultural needs of the people, and protect the cultural rights and interests of the people. They are characterized by fairness, public welfare, diversity and convenience. The meta universe, with its characteristics of freedom and equality and technical system, can also realize the mission of public cultural institutions. In addition, it can provide more humane services, more diverse scenes, more abundant information resources, more secure information protection measures, etc., providing unprecedented experience, but there is one thing that cannot be replaced, that is, public welfare, which is about impossible for the meta universe at this stage.
Of course, the main purpose of the discussion in this paper is to broaden the construction idea of digital transformation of public cultural institutions in the perspective of the meta universe. When the meta universe matures, it will not only be a technological integration, but also a social system, with an economic system and a unique civilization, and it is possible to reconstruct the business of public cultural institutions in an all-round way. All these require researchers and colleagues in the practical field to break through traditional thinking and look into the future& nbsp;
(The author Xu Xin is a professor and doctoral supervisor of the Department of Economics and Management of East China Normal University, Shanghai Institute of Intelligent Education, and director of the E-sports Industry Development Research Center of East China Normal University, a Shanghai university think tank. Liang Jiechun is a master's student in library and information in the Department of Economics and Management of East China Normal University. Professor Xu Xin continues to pay attention to new technologies, new industries, new formats, new models and other new economic forms, and cares about emerging technology governance With the theme of "industry and governance", the column discusses the forward-looking issues of scientific and technological innovation in economic and social development.)
Source: The Heart of the Metauniverse